October 24th thru October 29th, 2016
- The focus of the project this week was primarily with respect to sidewalk construction so that we can improve pedestrian access. The two corners at Uppergate Drive and Clifton Road will be completed over the weekend to allow pedestrians to return to their normal routes for crossing Clifton Road at this location. The MARTA and campus bus stop and shelter in front of Clinic A will be shifted to avoid conflicts with this work, but it will remain open at all time.
- We have also poured new curb and gutters in front of Clinic A, which will allow us to pave the area on Saturday morning October 29th beginning at 7:00AM. One item to note, the existing wooden utility poles that are along Clifton Road in this area will remain in place. These will come down as soon as power is transferred for the traffic signals from the overhead electrical distribution system (current feed) to underground power (future). This is scheduled to occur next week with the assistance of Georgia Power.
- In addition, we have begun demo at the Northeast corner of N Decatur and Clifton so that we can complete the new ADA ramp and tie it into the new sidewalks.
- A new valve and fire hydrant has been installed on a DeKalb County water line adjacent to the School of Law. This was required as the existing valve and hydrant were not working properly. They needed to be replaced before we could work on the remaining section of sidewalk in this area.
- Finally work on Healthgate Drive is moving forward with the installation of storm water piping and concrete structures.
October 31st thru November 6th, 2016
- Next week construction will move north as we begin work along CHOA’s property. This work will focus on demo and excavation so that the team can begin construction of the new, granite veneer retaining wall.
- We will also be trying to complete the sidewalk adjacent to the School of Law which will allow us to open the sidewalk for use.
- Finally, we will have nighttime/weekend work Friday night November 4th, after rush hour traffic until Sunday evening November 6th. This work will complete the last sections of electrical conduit/sleeves that cross Clifton Road near Gambrell Drive. Work will also include placing asphalt at the approaches to the recently completed concrete intersections. This is very important as this will reinforce the roadway and prevent issues when heavy vehicles need to apply their brakes when stopping at the intersections. This will be our last planned nighttime/weekend work until final exams are completed in mid-December. We will provide a special update next week that will show the areas impacted and include additional details in the form of illustrations.
Important Items/Changes to Note
Starting Monday, October 31st the sidewalk in front of CHOA will be closed for approximately 6 weeks as crews will be working in this area. The sidewalk on the west side of Clifton Road will be open and signs will be in place to direct pedestrians across the street to use it.