December 12th thru December 17th, 2016
- Work this week is focused in three different areas of the project: Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA), the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine (CRM) and the service driveway to Lowergate South Parking Deck.
- In front of CHOA and the CRM crews are working on completing the granite veneer retaining wall and pouring sidewalks in order to allow us to re-open this area to pedestrians next week.
- A temporary MARTA bus stop will be in place south of the current bus shelter at the CRM once the sidewalk from the corner of Haygood Drive to a point just past the vehicle entrance to the CRM (please see the first attachment for additional details) is opened for use.
- In addition to the sidewalk and wall activity at CHOA and the CRM, underground conduit and light pole bases for the new street and pedestrian lighting systems have been installed.
- There has been a significant amount of activity around the drive leading to the Lowergate South Parking Deck. The service drive is being widened so that a dedicated left turn lane onto Gambrell Drive can be added. Preparatory work includes installing new storm drain lines, curb and gutter and weather permitting this weekend, constructing a new ADA ramp at the corner of the service drive and Gambrell Drive.
- The new retaining wall at the N Decatur Building loading dock was completed and new curb and gutter will be in place by the end of the week.
- The two poles for the new traffic lights were also anchored to the foundations that were poured last week.
- Finally, we have started the installation of new storm drain structures on Clifton Road along the frontage of the J-Wing Project. This activity has required significant coordination/cooperation and is a further testament of the team spirit that exists between JE Dunn, McCarthy and Gay Construction, who are working in a very confined location and cooperating with one another so each team can complete their assigned tasks.
December 19th thru December 23th, 2016
- Next week the crews we will move further north on Clifton Road directly in front of the CRM to complete the final section of sidewalk. This will require the sidewalk to be closed at the corner of Haygood Drive, south as shown on the first attachment. We ask that you take note of the detour signage that will be in place alerting pedestrians how to navigate around the work area. Pedestrian access into and out of the CRM will be maintained at all times. The current MARTA bus stop in front of the CRM will be temporarily moved further south. This change will remain in effect for approximately 3 weeks.
- We will also continue work on the service drive near the School of Law, pouring concrete and re-opening this sidewalk by the end of the week.
- On Healthgate Drive, the focus will be on preparing for the new speed table at this intersection. Demolition is currently scheduled to begin on Thursday December 22nd and extending into Friday December 23rd. Personnel will be on site to direct traffic. One lane of travel will be available at all times. Work in the roadway will not start until 9 AM in an effort to avoid the morning rush hour traffic. See attachment for traffic flow plan for Dec. 22nd.
Important Items/Changes to Note
- CRM Sidewalk Closure and Temporary Bus Stop
- Sidewalk Closure at service drive near the School of Law and Gambrell Drive