December 19th thru 23rd, 2016
- Crews have made significant progress this week in and around Healthgate Drive and Gambrell Drive as they prepare to construct the speed table intersection.
- The work completed included new curb and gutter, backfilling the area adjacent to the new retaining wall at the N Decatur Building loading dock and adjusting various utilities in the area to conform with the new road profile. Beginning December 22, 2016, they will work to demo the asphalt intersection. Personnel will be on hand to direct traffic. Gambrell Drive will be reduced to a single lane of travel. The crews demo half of the intersection at a time. They will place stone base course material so that vehicles can drive through the intersection from 12/23 through 12/25. This prep work is needed as the construction of the new concrete and brick speed table next week is very time-consuming.
- The concrete sidewalk has been poured along the west side of the service drive from Gambrell Drive to the School of Law surface parking lot. Stone base course has also been placed in the area where the roadway is being widened.
- Along Clifton Road the sidewalk from Uppergate Drive up to the midpoint in front of the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine (CRM) is complete. (See photo above.) The remaining section of sidewalk up to the corner of Haygood Drive is scheduled to be poured on Friday. This will then allow us to open the new sidewalks between Haygood Drive and Uppergate Drive next week.
- Two noticeable activities were completed this week. The new stop lights at Clifton Road and N. Decatur Road were activated and the old stop lights removed on Tuesday. Georgia Power has removed the remaining power lines on the utility poles from Lowergate Drive north to Haygood Drive.
December 26th thru December 31st, 2016
- Next week our crews we will be focused on the completion of the new speed table intersection at Healthgate Drive and Gambrell Drive. This work is being coordinated around upcoming University holidays to lessen the impact on the campus.
- We will also be installing a new, raised pedestrian crosswalk between the Lowergate South Parking Deck and the sidewalk adjacent to the MacMillan Law Library.
- In addition, we will begin restoring the irrigation systems and landscaping along Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta’s (CHOA) property.
- See map which shows location of this work and how it will affect traffic (PDF).
Important Items / Changes to Note
- Gambrell Drive will be reduced to one lane of travel (PDF) on December 23rd from 9 AM until 4 PM
- Gambrell Drive will be closed to traffic from Clifton Road up to the loading dock at the N Decatur Building. Please see detour plan (PDF).
- Campus Buses will be detoured around the section of Gambrell Drive that will be closed to traffic next week.