December 5th thru December 10th, 2016
- For the second time in as many weeks, rain slowed progress on the Clifton Road Project. The crews made certain the site was able to handle the rain events and contained any erosion or sediment to within the work areas.
- The retaining wall subcontractor working near Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) utilized tents to keep workers out of the rain and work moved forward chipping the granite pieces to the required shapes so they could be placed on the retaining wall. (See photo above.)
- The grading subcontractor focused their efforts on demoing a section of the retaining wall and adjacent sidewalk at the loading dock area of the N. Decatur Building. (See photo above.)
- As things dried out later in the week, new curb and gutter were placed along a section of CHOA’s property.
- Temporary roadway striping was placed shifting the travel lanes along the norther portion of the project to the west.
- You probably noticed that the travel lanes were closer to WHSCAB on your drive in to work today. This provides room for the crews to work on the east side of Clifton Road in areas where they need to widen the roadway.
- We will also be demoing and replacing the concrete apron to the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine (CRM) and extending underground conduits across the service drive to the entrance of CHOA’s Emergency Department. Access to CHOA’s Emergency Department will remain available at all times. The work will begin Friday night at 7:00 PM. The concrete apron at the CRM will reopen to traffic early Monday morning. We have to allow adequate time for the concrete to cure before we can open it to traffic.
- Asphalt paving will also be taking place on the east side of Clifton Road from Uppergate Drive, North along CHOA’s property. This will take place on Saturday once temperatures begin to rise after a predicted cold start to the day.
December 12th thru December 17th, 2016
- Next week after final exams are completed, demo work will begin for the new left turn lane at the service drive off Gambrell Drive heading towards the Lowergate South Parking Deck. Initially the crews will be working on underground storm systems and work to widen the drive. This will allow the entrance to Lowergate South to remain open. We will also be pouring a new sidewalk in this area.
- At the loading dock of the N Decatur Building work will begin on the foundation for the realigned retaining wall. Along Clifton Road, the grading contractor will be grading for the new sidewalk along CHOA’s property, starting at Uppergate and working their way north. The sidewalk crew will be following close behind them in an effort to construct the new concrete sidewalk as quickly as possible.
- Lastly work will begin on new storm water structures along Clifton Road at the J-Wing site.
Significant Holiday Construction Activities
- We plan on taking advantage of the upcoming holidays to complete several of the more impactful elements of work associated with the project. The linked attachment included in this email provides details and timing.
- But briefly we need to widen the service drive to Lowergate South Parking Deck.
- We also have to demo and replace the raised brick crosswalks that leads from Lowergate South to the MacMillan Law Library.
- On Gambrell Drive we need to demo the intersection near the loading dock of the N Decatur Building. Our best available window of opportunity for the demo to take place is December 23rd as this is a University holiday.
- The work to replace the raised brick sidewalk and construct the raised speed table on Gambrell Drive is December 26th through December 30th as we will be able to take advantage of 2 University holidays.
- In order to construct both of these areas, traffic will be detoured into and out of the Lowergate South Parking Deck as shown on the attachment. Access into and out of the loading dock at the N Decatur Building will be available at all times via Ridgewood Drive.
- In the event of inclement weather this work would extend into the following week as needed.