Work on the Clifton Road Project will require lane closures Friday night and into Saturday night (Sept. 9-10).
As a quick reminder, grading and paving work on Clifton Road has been planned so it only occurs at night and on weekends. We are following that plan.
We have also indicated that periodic lane closures would occur during the day over the course of the project. This will take place on Friday from noon until 7 p.m. as the crews will close a northbound lane of travel in order to provide a safety buffer for crews working just outside of the roadway.
The graphic linked here (PDF) provides details regarding the traffic measures that will be in place and the lanes that will be closed Friday night through early Saturday evening.
Key points regarding the paving work are as follows:
- Work will begin Friday night starting at 7 p.m.
- A DeKalb County police officer will assist in directing traffic onto Clifton Road from N. Decatur Road. Emergency vehicles will be given priority at all times.
- Initially travel on Clifton Road will be reduced to one northbound and one southbound lane of travel.
- Crews will begin by removing damaged sections of the roadway near the intersection of Clifton Road and N. Decatur Road. This is why the work area identified on the PDF is expanded in this area.
- Asphalt paving operations are anticipated to start at 3 a.m. Saturday morning.
- Once the paving work adjacent to Gambrell Hall is completed, a portion of the travel lanes can be returned to service. We expect this to occur by late Saturday morning.
- The new right turn lane will be paved next.
- Work will be completed by early Saturday evening at which time all lanes of Clifton Road will be reopened.