January 9th thru 14th, 2016
- This week crews started work on the first median (see picture above) which is located near the School of Medicine and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. This median is approximately 150’ in length. We will plant 5 trees similar to those that are already planted along both sides of Clifton Road. The asphalt paving has been demoed and concrete curbing will be in place by Thursday evening.
- Other concrete work that was addressed includes the remaining sidewalk for Healthgate Drive as well as the new raised, concrete islands at the entry to Healthgate Drive and near the right turn lane from Clifton Road to N Decatur Road.
- Beginning Friday night, crews will begin the demo of the west half of the Eagle Row/Clifton Road intersection. The deteriorated asphalt paving in this area will be replaced with concrete. This will require a significant lane shift starting around 7:00PM and the closure of Eagle Row at Clifton Road starting at 8:00PM. The crews will work through the night so that concrete can begin to be poured by mid-Saturday morning. Crews will continue to “finish” the concrete late into Saturday afternoon. However, we cannot allow traffic to drive on the concrete until early Monday morning as it requires time to cure in order to be able to support the weight of vehicles. This paving operation will be very similar to those completed previously at Gambrell Drive / Clifton Road and Uppergate Drive / Clifton Road. Please note that access to the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine (CRM) and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) will be maintained at all time while the work is underway. Personnel will be on site to direct traffic, ensuring that emergency vehicles have priority access to both facilities.
January 15th thru January 21st, 2016
- Next week the crews will continue their work within the median at the north end of the project. Landscaping will begin at Healthgate Drive and an overall clean-up of completed work areas of the project will take place.
- Prep work will take place late in the week to address the 2nd half of the deteriorated asphalt intersection at Haygood Drive and Clifton Road. Late Thursday evening crews will saw cut the asphalt but it will be left in place. The demo work will begin Friday night January 20th, weather permitting. Work for this 2nd half of the intersection will proceed in the same way that we will undertake work this weekend, i.e. the lane shifts will be starting around 7:00 PM and the closure of Haygood Drive at Clifton Road at 8:00 PM. Please note that while this work is underway, the evening of January 20th thru early Monday morning January 23rd, there will be no thru traffic from Haygood Drive onto Clifton Road. We are requesting that traffic stay on N Decatur Road to Clifton Road and proceed north on Clifton Road. An electronic message board is in place on N Decatur Road, alerting motorists about the upcoming work. Additional details regarding the impacts to traffic on Haygood Drive will be included in next week’s project update.
Important Items/Changes to Note
- West Half of Eagle Row/Clifton Intersection will begin Friday Night, 1/13 at 7:00P with Eagle Row closing at 8:00P. Please plan your route accordingly.
- East Half of Haygood/Clifton Intersection will begin Friday Night, 1/20 at 7:00P with Haygood closing at 8:00P. Please plan your route accordingly.