January 29th thru February 3rd, 2017
- The crews were able to work through cold but dry weather this past weekend to complete the east half of the Haygood Drive and Clifton Road Intersection. A tremendous amount of planning and coordination preceded this work. All lanes on Clifton Road were opened to traffic by 4:30 AM on Monday morning in advance of rush hour traffic.
- The first part of this week has been devoted to cleaning up traffic control devices and other construction related items along Clifton Corridor.
- Landscaping has continued in and around the Healthgate Drive portion of the project, near the Lowergate South Parking Deck. The shrubs and trees are already making a significant visual impact to this area of the project.
- Grading crews continue to work along the front of the J Wing Project. This work required significant coordination between JE Dunn and McCarthy’s crews. This grading work will allow follow-on activities such as extending the electrical conduits to serve the DeKalb County traffic signal cabinet located near Thomas Hall.
- Lastly crews are working to relocate several utilities near WHSCAB.
February 6th thru February 11th, 2017
- Grading activities will continue in front of the J-Wing, with the goal being to begin placing new curb and gutter by Thursday. This will then allow paving operations to take place over the weekend so that this section of Clifton Road can be widened. Crews will also be able to complete the final section of the electrical conduit which will provide a pathway for underground electrical service to traffic signals and the pedestrian and street lighting systems on the west side of Clifton Road. Georgia Power will be managing the installation of these lighting systems.
Important Items / Changes to Note
- Paving in front of the new J-Wing is scheduled for 2/11. This will require merging lanes for Northbound traffic on Clifton Road between N Decatur Road and Lowergate Drive.
- Existing Hospital Pedestrian Bridge is scheduled for removal on 2/24-2/26. Major lane closures and traffic shifts will be in place on sections of Clifton road. This will allow the Clifton Streetscape Project to place the curb for the planted median that is front of the Harris Hall and the J Wing Project.